Prof. dr. ir. F.C. van Geer
Adjunct Professor at Utrecht University, Methods of soil and groundwater monitoring, (20%).
Senior Researcher at Geological Survey of the Netherlands-TNO (80%),
Postal address and coordinates
Geological Survey of the Netherlands-TNO
P.O. Box 80015, 3508 TA Utrecht, Netherlands
Tel. + 31 (0) 8886 64757
Department of Physical Geography
Faculty of Geosciences, Utrecht University
P.O. Box 80115
3508 TC Utrecht
Tel: +31 (0) 30 253 1660
Willem C. van Unnik Building
3584 CS Utrecht
Room 105 of Zonneveld Wing
3584 CB Utrecht
Frans van Geer is senior researcher at the Geological Survey of the Netherlands and adjunct professor at The Department of Physical Geography. He studied civil engineering at Delft University of technology (graduated in 1980). At the same university he received his PhD in 1987. Since 1985 he is employed by TNO and since 2009 he is part-time adjunct professor at the University Utrecht. The focus in the work of Van Geer is on monitoring and uncertainty assessment in groundwater and soil processes. This includes time series analysis, geostatistics and data assimilation. Applications of these techniques mainly concern subsurface characterisation, ground water model calibration, the design of monitoring strategies, input response functions, trend detection and data quality control. Van Geer co-organized several workshops and symposia. He was (co)convenor of for example the EGS symposium in Hamburg, 1995, the EGS symposium in Den Haag, 1999, the workshop W7 of the IAHS-congress 2001, Maastricht and the EGU symposium in Vienna 2012. Currently he chairs the working group ‘time series analysis’ of the Dutch Hydrological Society (NHV).
- Schuurmans, J. M., F. C. van Geer and M. F. P. Bierkens (2011), Remotely sensed latant heat fluxes for model error diagnosis: a case study. Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci. 15. 759-769. doi: 10.5194/hess-15-759-2011.
- Van der Velde, Y., G.H. de Rooij, J.C. Rozemeijer, F.C. van Geer and H.P. Broers (2010), Nitrate response of a lowland catchment: on the relation between stream concentration and travel time distribution dynamics, Water Resour. Res., 46, W11534, doi:10.1029/2010WR009105.
- Rozemeijer, J.C., Y. van der Velde, F.C. van Geer, H.P. Broers, M.F.P Bierkens (2010) Direct measurements of the tile drain and groundwater flow route contributions to surface water contamination: from field-scale concentration patterns in groundwater to catchment-scale surface water quality, Environmental Pollution 158, 3571-3579
- Rozemeijer, J.C., Van der Velde, Y., Van Geer, F.C., De Rooij, G., Torfs, P., Broers, H.P. (2010). Improving load estimates for NO3 and P in surface waters by characterizing the concentration response to rainfall events. Environ. Sci. Technol., 44, 6305-6312.
- Geer, F. C. van , A. Marsman and G. M. C. M. Janssen (2008) Quantifying the economic benefit of groundwater monitoring: a pilot study. In: Refsgaard JC, Kovar K, Nygaard E and Haarder E. (Eds) Proceedings from the sixth International Conference on Calibration and Reliability in Groundwater Modelling, Copenhagen 9-13 September 2007. pp. 137-141, IAHS Report 320, ISBN 978-1-901502-49-7.
- Geer, F. C. van, M. F. P. Bierkens and H. P. Broers (2008), Groundwatermonitoring strategies. In: Encyclopedia of Hydrological Sciences. Hsa316.
- Højberg, A. L., J. C. Refsgaard, F. C. van Geer, L. Flindt Jørgensen, and I Zsuffa (2007), Use of models to support the monitoring requirements in the water framework directive. Water Resour. Management. 21:1649-1672; Doi:10.1007/s11269-006-9119-y
- Berendrecht, W.L , Heemink, A.W. , van Geer, F.C , Gehrels, J.C. (2006), A non-linear state space approach to model groundwater fluctuations. Advances in Water Resources, 29 (7), pp. 959-973.
- Broers, H.P. & F.C. van Geer (2005), Evaluating monitoring strategies at phreatic well fields. Groundwater. Vol. 43, No. 6.: 850-862
- Valstar, J. R., D. B. McLaughlin, C. B. M. te Stroet and F. C. van Geer (2004), A representer-based inverse method for groundwater flow and transport applications. Water Resour. Res., 40, W05116, doi:10.1029/2003WR002922, 2004.
- Berendrecht, W.L., A.W. Heemink, F.C. van Geer and J.C. Gehrels, (2004). State-space modelling of water table fluctuations in switching regimes. J. Hydrol. 292 249-261.
- Bierkens, F.P. , M. Knotters and F.C. van Geer. (1999) Calibration of transfer function-noise models to sparsely or irregular observed time series. Water Resour. Res., Vol. 35 no. 6, pages 1741-1750.
- Gehrels, J.C., F.C. van Geer and J.J de Vries, (1994). Decomposition of Groundwater Level Fluctuations using Transfer Modelling in an Area with Shallow to Deep Unsaturated Zones. J. Hydrol., 157, 105-138.
- Geer, F.C. van, Stroet, C.B.M. te and Zhou, Y., (1991). Using Kalman Filtering to Improve and Quantify the Uncertainty of Numerical Groundwater Simulations: 1. The Role of System Noise and its Calibration; Water Resour. Res., volume 27, no. 8 pp. 1987-1994.
- Zhou, Y., Stroet, C.B.M. te and Geer, F.C. van, (1991). Using Kalman Filtering to Improve and Quantify the Uuncertainty of Numerical Groundwater Simulations: 2. Application to Monitoring Network Design. Water Resour. Res., volume 27, no. 8, pp. 1995-2006.